General information for students

Find here some helpful information for studying and living in Araranguá.


This section provides information and tips about:


All students must register with the University  before beginning their studies and again at the beginning of each academic semester. Please contact the Office of International Relations (


In order to study in Brazil, you need a Student Visa. For undergraduate and graduate students, with or without scholarships, a temporary Visa will be granted. To find more about the procedures and vaccinations, contact the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate in your country. If you are not a scholarship holder, make sure you are financially prepared to have your visa approved and validate your stay in Brazil in agreement with the Federal Police requests.


When travelling to Brazil, it is important to bring not only your passport, but also a document with your parents name written. This is necessary to differentiate two people with the same name, for example. It can be a driver’s license, an ID, a birth certificate or other official document, even if it is not in Portuguese.


How to arrive 

Araranguá is located 220 kilometers south of Florianópolis, the capital of  the Santa Catarina State.  The international students have to travel  from Florianópolis to Araranguá either by car or by bus to arrive in the city.

Academic year

The academic year is divided in two semesters. The first semester usually starts on March and ends on July; while the second one is most likely to be from August to December. The dates might vary on each year, but you can check the current academic calendar here (


The courses are offered only in Portuguese.


UFSC offers two period of vacation per year. The longer one is during the summer, from December to March. Winter vacations tend to be two weeks long in the end of July of beginning of August. Summer courses may be offered, and research can also be scheduled with a professor if you are interested in.

Assesment System

UFSC organizes students grades in a 0 to 10 scale, being 6 the minimum grade to be approved in a course. However, the final grades are always given as multiples of 0,5, and due to this rounding criteria, 5,75 becomes the minimum mark necessary for approval.


UFSC does not offer dormitories or housing for international students. You can ask for more information about housing by emailing.


After arriving in Araranguá, you should obtain several documents, such as CPF – Cadastro de Pessoa Física (Social Security Number), Federal Police registration, enrollment process, UFSC card.


Every and each international student must register at the Department of Federal Police within 30 days of entering into the Brazilian territory – except for those who have Brazilian citizenship. To be able to make this registration, you have to pay two fees:

  • Taxa de Registro de Estrangeiro (International Registry Tax) – R$ 64,58.*
  • Taxa da Carteira de Estrangeiro (International ID Tax – original copy) – R$124,23.
  • except for those coming from Portuguese speaking countries.

We advise students who are coming to study in Araranguá to contact previously the Secretary of International Relations in order to find out which would be the better city to register at Department of Federal Police. Some students use to travel directly to Florianópolis and register themselves there, before coming to Araranguá. In case there is no registration in Florianópolis the nearest Department of Federal Police is located in Criciuma city (please read below). To pay these taxes, we advise you to: * Access

  • Select the option GRU – Guia de Recolhimento da União
  • Then select the item GRU – FUNAPROL (estrangeiro, segurança privada, transporte internacional, armas, aluguéis).
  • Fill in the necessary information at Guia de Recolhimento.
    • o In the field “Nome”, your name should be written in the order of first name, middle name, and surname(s).
    • o The field UnidadeArrecadadora should be filled with ********
    • o The reference numbers (Códigos da receita) are 140082 (Registro de Estrangeiro – R$64,58) and 140120 (Carteira de Estrangeiro 1a via – R$124,23)
  • Print the forms and pay the fees at any bank agency, and keep the proof-of-payment.

After, the student must set an appointment with the Federal Police station (which can be done on the internet, as explained below). The closest FPS to the campus is in a city nearby called Criciúma:

Delegacia de Criciúma DPF Nelson Luiz ConfortinNapp Endereço: Rua José Scotti, nº 305 – BairroOperária Nova CEP: 88.809-100 Fone/Fax: (0xx-48) 3461-8600

For this appointment, you must bring:

  • Federal Police Form filled and printed. (The form is available at
  • Proof of scheduling printed. The visit can be booked at
  • Copy of all used pages in your passport
  • Copy of the document you received when you entered in Brazil
  • Two 3’’x4’’ color photographs with white background
  • Proof-of-payment of the two fees mentioned above
  • Visa application form – received in the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate of the home country (original and copy).

Visa renewal: if you want to extend your studies in Brazil and need to extend your visa, pay attention to the deadlines for renewal and go to the Federal Police station at least a month before the deadline. After this deadline, you will be charged a fine. There is a tax for renewal, therefore, in case you wish to stay longer in Brazil please notify UFSC before receiving your letter of acceptance. The list of documents for renewing a visa can be found at:

CPF – Cadastro de pessoa fisica (social Security number)

The CPF (Social Security Number) is necessary in Brazil for several situations, such as: financial activities, (i.e. banking), acquisition of goods (i.e. cellphone), and to request public and private services. To get your CPF number, go to a banking agency from Banco do Brasil(BB) or to a Post Office, provide the data requested by the attendant and pay a tax of R$ 5,50. For this procedure, you will need to present the Federal Police Protocol (Protocolo da Polícia Federal, a document given to you at the Federal Police Office) and your passport. In Araranguá, you can find the BB agency at Av. Sete de Setembro, 142 – Centro. After 48 hours, you should go to a placed called Receita Federal (located as described below), with the following:

  • Proof-of-payment for the R$5,50 fee;
  • Passport
  • Proof of residency (issued in the last 90 days)
  • The Federal Police Protocol
  • Document with your parents name on it, if this information is not listed in the passport.

ARF Araranguá

Address:   Avenida Coronel João Fernandes n. 26, Centro, Araranguá, SC, CEP  88900-000,  Phone:  (48) 39031000

Hours:        1:30 pm – 5 pm

The CPF number will be generated immediately, though the card is sent by mail to the address you have submitted and will take one to two weeks to arrive.


To get the student bus pass, you should go to the SIMPLES agency, with your passport (or other valid ID with photo), CPF, enrollment process certificate, a document with your name and address, and two photos 3”x4”. The card will be ready in the same day. You can buy passes directly in the following addresses: Viação Cidade, which is the public transportation company in Araranguá, is located at Empresa Viação Cidade. RuaCel. Apolinário Pereira, 426/Araranguá – SC – CEP 88900-000.

Enrollment process The enrollment process should be done with SINTER, which stands for Secretaria de Relações Internacionais and is a center for international experience. You can access the website at and check for more information about the enrollment process in the options on the left, right below the section “Intercâmbio: Alunos Internacionais”.

UFSC card To get the UFSC card, you should go to the campus academic secretary.


International Health Insurance International students must contract an international health insurance service before coming to Brazil. Then, if you need medical assistance, you might look your insurance policy and/or call the responsible to know where you can find the health care needed. If you don’t have any international insurance and/or can’t afford private health care, you can use the public service for it, called SUS – Unique Health System. It’s free and can be found in many places across Brazil, but it tends to be not very efficient.

Emergency You can find in Araranguá some places for urgent medical assistance, such as the Regional Hospital (HRA), located at Castro Alves Avenue, 303 – Coloninha.